A human chain organised by Sramik Nirapotta Forum-SNF was held in front of the National Press Club on March 23, 2019 to commemorate one month of Chawkbazar Tragedy and to demand proper treatment, compensation and rehabilitation of the victims.
Speakers of the human chain said, at least 27 workers died in Chawkbazar Tragedy and seven injured workers are still under treatment in Dhaka Medical College Hospital. Many of those who are admitted in the burn unit of the Dhaka Medical College Hospital have no improvement in physical condition, not only that many of them are in critical condition.
Speakers also said that those responsible for the accident are still not brought under punisment. There is no obvious report on the progress of government and non-government assistance and cooperation.
Samajtantrik Sramik Front General Secretary Razekuzzaman Ratan, BILS Executive Council Member Abdul Wahed, TUC Joint General Secretary Abul Kalam Azad, Acting General Secretary of Bangladesh Mukto Sramik Federation Shahidullah Badal, Awaj Foundation President Momtaz Begum, SNF Acting Member Secretary Sekendar Ali Mina, Blast Project Manager Abdul Malek, Trade Union leaders and human rights organizations leaders of SNF and BILS attended the event.
Speakers placed following demands:
- Set the compensation for victims/workers at 10 lakh taka.
- Carry out the treatment expenses of the injured and ensure rehabilitation for them.
- Considering the level of inability of the injured workers and other locals, the compensation should be set, which is no less than five lakh taka.
- Above all, publish the report of all the investigation committees.
- Set compensation according to the amount of damage to the neighboring property
- The people responsible for the accident must be brought under the law.
- Remove all the chemicals from Old Dhaka to remote areas.