A policy briefing workshop on the study titled, “Decent Work and Intersections with VAWG/GBV: A Study on Domestic Workers in Bangladesh” was held on March 30, 2023 at Dhaka Ahsania Mission Auditorium, Dhanmondi, Dhaka. The workshop was organised by Securing Rights of Women Domestic Workers in Bangladesh project implemented by BILS with support of OXFAM in Bangladesh and Global Affairs Canada.
The objective of the policy brief meeting was to finalise the draft policy brief received from the VAWG research conducted by the research team. Project partners and different stakeholders’ and representatives like trade union, civil society, development organisations and academia were present at the meeting to discuss on the policy recommendation on the basis of the findings of the study which contributed to finalise the policy brief.
A total 30 people (F- 11, M- 19) participated the meeting.
Some important recommendations received from the meeting to finalise the policy brief are given bellow:
- Apart from including domestic workers in labour law a direction to be given to make a separate law for domestic workers;
- Other country best practices in domestic workers law should be reviewed.
- Capacity development needed to organise workers;
- Policy needs a huge publicity for reaching out general people;
- Oxfam can cooperate TUs for organising domestic workers if specific proposals are placed;
- For potential migrant domestic workers govt. has a lot to do.
Govt. & CSOs & TU should work on domestic workers digital inclusion and financial inclusion.